Date:      Sun, 12 Apr 1998 15:09:31 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Frank Pawlak <fpawlak@execpc.com>
To:        malartre@aei.ca
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 3 OS on the same system... not my falt, my mother need win95!

On 12 Apr, KapuT wrote:
> Hi
> I absolutly need to know how I can properly erase FreeBSD (and the
> eazyboot manager and the master boot record.
>
> This is the situation
> I have a 3.681 gig quantum fireball.
> I have win95 the first partition (1.8gig)
> and Freebsd on the second partition(1.8gig).
> Ok, and I have Partition Magic from PowerQuest
> Now, I want to do that:
> Erase FreeBSD (cleanly)
> With partition magic, resize win95
> Install ***os/2 warp 4 (Merlin)***
> ReInstall FreeBSD on the last partition.
> And install the FreeBSD boot manager.
>
> So, how can I cleanly erase FreeBSD
> Wich bootmanager should I use (easyboot or the os/2 boot?)
> And how many space should i give to freebsd and os/2 (with the "Xuser"
> package)
>
> I think I will give 1.8 gig to win95 FAT32 (argh FAT32 sucks but I
> cannot change it)
> and 900 meg to os/2 and the last 900 meg to FreeBSD.
>
> does its ok?

Use a DOS boot disk and run fdisk /mbr to clean up the boot record.

In partitioning you dive the question to answer is which of the OS's is
going to support the most apps -- the apps that are critical to getting
your work done.  You are loading the drive space in the direction of
Win95 yet you say that you hate it.  Am not picking on that for any
reason other than if one of the other OS' is your main OS then I would
suggest that more drive soace be given to it.

I have NT, Linx, and FreeBSD on my system.  Because FreeBSD is my OS of
choice it has the most drive space.  I am running at about 70% of 1.5G
for FreeBSD.  The extra space is to allow for the build directory for
the make world process.

That said, your partitions look OK.  Either boot manager OS/2 or boot
easy will do the job.  Load Win 95 first other wise it will hose up the
boot record causing mega problems.

Frank