Date:      Thu, 14 Jan 1999 08:18:10 -0800
From:      Bill Trost <trost@cloud.rain.com>
To:        Caroline Beauchamps <caroline.beauchamps@bt-sys.bt.co.uk>
Cc:        mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: WaveLAN beacons

Caroline Beauchamps writes:
    I am not sure wether I should send this mail to freebsd-hackers or
    freebsd-mobile...

-mobile, definitely -mobile.

    I am using WaveLAN PCMCIA and ISA card from Lucent Technologies.
    The ISA card sends some messages called "beacons" to the PCMCIA
    card.

    Does anybody know which kind of packets ( ICMP, ethernet frame...
    ???) they are, and which information these messages contain ?

Ever read Dr. Seuss's _Horton Hears A Who_?  (-:

In the WaveLAN bridge stuff that is the "standard," each bridge (*not*
ISA card, unless you're talking about something else) sends a beacon
that says "I am here" and the NWID that it is using to carry traffic.
Mobile hosts are supposed to pick the bridge with the strongest beacon
and use that NWID to send and receive data.

Mobile IP (especially PSU's -- see http://www.cs.pdx.edu/research/SMN)
uses ICMP router advertisements in a similar fashion to let mobile nodes
get connected to the rest of the world.