Date:      Thu, 01 Nov 2007 10:54:01 +0200
From:      Andriy Gapon <avg@icyb.net.ua>
To:        Beech Rintoul <beech@freebsd.org>
Cc:        Jan Henrik Sylvester <me@janh.de>, multimedia-list freebsd <freebsd-multimedia@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Skype-1.4 on 6.2 (and 7.0-BETA1)

on 31/10/2007 21:45 Beech Rintoul said the following:

> Skype positively will not work on FreeBSD 64 bit. The forums are full
> of people screaming for a 64 bit linux version and the only success
> has been on ubuntu using their 32 bit compatibility layer. Even with
> that the results were less than optimal. I'm sure sooner later they
> will release one, but getting them to release a 64 bit oss version is
> uncertain. If someone is successful at getting Skype to work on amd64
> I definitely would like to know. Ubuntu has a /usr/lib32 dir for this
> kind of problem. Maybe someone with some time and libmap.conf foo can
> look into it.

Beech,

I think there is some confusion here: our linuxolator always emulates
i386 (32-bit) Linux. So, it should be irrelevant if skype works or not
on amd64 Linux. I am talking about FreeBSD amd64 underlying platform,
not about 64-bit skype or 64-bit Linux. Insulated by our linux emulation
layer skype should not see anything 64-bit.

--
Andriy Gapon