Date:      Tue, 17 Dec 2013 10:24:10 -0500
From:      Adam McDougall <mcdouga9@egr.msu.edu>
To:        stable@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: bsdinstall, zfs booting, gpt partition order suitable for volume expansion

On 12/17/2013 09:54, Andrey V. Elsukov wrote:
> On 10.12.2013 21:53, Adam McDougall wrote:
>> I was wondering if either the default gpt partition order could become
>> p1=boot, p2=swap, p3=zpool, or if the installer could be enhanced at
>> some point to allow the user to select the order.  It seems like it would
>
> Hi,
>
> I think the following scheme is more expansible:
> p1=boot, p2=zpool, p3=swap
>
> You always can remove swap partition and change the size of zpool, then
> add swap partition. Also, you can expand swap partition when the amount
> of memory will be increased.

Expanding swap as you described it is more work though, and it is easy
to add a second swap partition if more swap is required.  If p2 and p4
were swap, you could still even delete p4 and expand the zpool, and
possibly recreate a new p4 for swap.  I suspect it will be more common
that people will want to expand their zpool rather than swap, so if that
is true, p2=swap and p3=zpool will require the least effort to repartition.