Date:      Sat, 9 Apr 2011 14:29:31 +0200
From:      Milan Obuch <freebsd-mips@dino.sk>
To:        Aleksandr Rybalko <ray@dlink.ua>
Cc:        Aleksandr Rybalko <ray@ddteam.net>, freebsd-mips@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: [RFC] Re: TP link MR3220 status, boot from flash via u-boot question

On Fri, 8 Apr 2011 11:31:32 +0300, Aleksandr Rybalko <ray@dlink.ua>
wrote:

> On Fri, 8 Apr 2011 09:57:12 +0200
> Milan Obuch <freebsd-mips@dino.sk> wrote:
>
> >> On Fri, 1 Apr 2011 00:57:33 +0300, Aleksandr Rybalko
> >> <ray@ddteam.net> wrote:

[ snip ]

> >> In my case, to be exact, there is SPI flash, actually...
>
> SPI is a interface, but flash type also NOR, IIRC

Well, maybe, but I found no mention about that in datasheet from Eon
(cFeon) for EN25F32... but this is not that important.

> >> This one is easy - I can use gzip packed kernel only. If I try
> >> other compressing method, u-boot complains with 'bad gzip data'
> >> message so this one is clear in this case, I think.
>
> Did you try all lzma typed (oldlzma, lzma and xz)?
>
> Because I made 4M system with kernel compressed with LZMA(oldlzma)
> and fs is iso.ulzma In gzipped kernel case we have kernel partition
> 200-600 Kb bigger. Then it hard to make usable FS.

For lzma, u-boot told 'bad gzip data, must reset'. No joy. I have no
idea on old lzma method, will try xz, but I have little hope it will be
any better.

[ snip ]

> >> I tried it various way, no success yet. When I load kernel via
> >> TFTP to address set in kernel config (0x80050000 in my case) I can
> >> issue a go command to 'start' address, usually 0x80050100, but
> >> sometimes it is 0x80050120 - I am checking for this after kernel
> >> is built - and kernel boots correctly and works.
>
> 0x80050120 - something weird (maybe 0x20 U-Boot or TPlink header size)

This has nothing to do with u-boot or tplink, yet. It comes from running
command 'nm kernel | grep _start'. For some reason sometimes there is
somewhat bigger ELF header, no idea why.

> 0x80050100 - START_ADDRESS in case we use elf
>
> to save some space make
> objcopy -S -O binary kernel kernel.bin
> then run mkimage with load and start address 0x80050100

Will try with -O binary, actually I am using it now without this option.

> >> As already mentioned, there is a mktplinkfw utility, which combines
> >> kernel and root fs (or uses kernel with embedded root fs),
> >> prepends a required header and pads generated image to full size
> >> of flash minus 128 kB for u-boot itself. I am able to flash such
> >> image into flash, but bootm tells only about success uncompressing
> >> kernel, starting kernel and that's all.
>
> I not work with mktplinkfw yet, so I can't hint you about that.
>

> >> ## Booting image at 9f020000 ...
> >>    Uncompressing Kernel Image ... OK
> >>
> >> Starting kernel ...
> >>
> >> Nothing more, powerdown necessary to start again.

> >> [ snip ]
> >>
> >> Not much yet, unfortunatelly...
> >>
> >> On a side note, there is one thing to be addressed. As my device
> >> has only 4 MB flash, I still need to shrink the image I would like
> >> to use there. I could put there working kernel, when flash boot
> >> issue is solved, but root fs not yet, together they do not fit. I
> >> still need to save as much as 600 kB of space... Do you have any
> >> tips to share? In some older mails here I saw you managed to do it
> >> for other device...
>
> 1. compile with NOSHARED=no
> 2. delete .h, .a, .o and many other docs and unused binary's (I think
> that step you know :) ) 3. mkulzma+geom_uncompress instead
> mkuzip+geom_uzip

There are following files at http://my.ddteam.net page:

2011-01-19_add_contrib_xz-embedded.patch
2011-01-19_geom_ulzma_and_mkulzma.patch
2011-01-21_geom_ulzma_and_uzip.diff
2011-01-23_geom_uncompress.diff
2011-01-23_geom_uncompress.patch
2011-01-24_mkulzma.patch

Which one should I use? There is no mkulzma in base now...

Regards,
Milan