Date:      Wed, 15 May 1996 23:28:03 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Kenneth J Monville <desmo@bandwidth.org>
To:        crosswjo@cs.orst.edu
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 2.1.0-R Cannot Detect Secondary EIDE Channel...

I have found through trial and error that the only way to get 2 hard
drives and an atapi cd-rom is to have the cd-rom on the Master slave.
Anywhere else and it won't be found.  This is my current
setup and it is working fine:

Master primary- 540Mb Seagate IDE
Master slave- ATAPI CD-ROM
Secondary master- Western Digital 1.6Gb IDE
Secondart slave- OPEN

I hope this helps,
Ken

    	Ken Monville  	-  desmo@bandwidth.org
                        -  http://www.bandwidth.org/~desmo

On Tue, 14 May 1996, John Crosswhite wrote:

> ASUS P55TP4XE
> Primary   EIDE Channel (master):        1 1.2 Gig Samsung HD
> Primary   EIDE Channel (slave) :	1 1.2 Gig Samsung HD
> Secondary EIDE Channel (master):        1 Toshiba EIDE CD-ROM Drive
> Secondary EIDE Channel (slave) :	Nothing
>
> I am having problems getting the Secondary Channel to be recognized.  All
> bios settings are default except for geometries.  As anybody with an ATAPI
> CD-ROM drive knows, you cannot define settings for the CD-ROM in the bios.
> I believe the bios is just concerned with fixed disk stuff.
-snip-