Date:      Sun, 19 Nov 1995 01:24:35 +0100 (MET)
From:      Ollivier Robert <roberto@keltia.freenix.fr>
To:        andreas@knobel.gun.de (Andreas Klemm)
Cc:        jkh@freebsd.org, j@uriah.heep.sax.de, ports@freebsd.org, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: knews-0.9.3 ported - really, an amazing X11 Newsreader with graphical threads

It seems that Andreas Klemm said:
> Well this is _the_ coolest X11 NNTP newsreader I ever saw, here
> some infos from the WEB page:

Just wait a few months and a friend of mine will release Newsview which the
equivalent of trn  but under X11. It has  real threading (like  knews which
borrowed trn's algorithms),    visual thread display  (much   prettier than
knews' own which  way  too  large IMO)  and   something never really   seen
elsewhere: true multi-server support. Not being  able to switch servers and
have different newsrc for each server but  real integration of the articles
from all  servers. You can   subscribe from one  or  more servers  for each
group.

It will also have both regular scoring (à la strn) but also auto-scoring...

It also has multiples  UI  (Athena, Athena3D,  3DLook, Xview, NextStep  and
MacOS interfaces) all in an Xlib only program.

Newsview is actually in alpha (generally 1 or 2 weeks between alphas) and I
expect it to go beta in2 or 3 months.

I've tried  knews; it is  much better than Xrn  (i.e. it has threads unlike
Xrn) but I think the graphical part is poor.
--
Ollivier ROBERT    -=- The daemon is FREE! -=-    roberto@keltia.frmug.fr.net
   FreeBSD keltia.freenix.fr 2.2-CURRENT #1: Sun Nov 12 16:47:05 MET 1995