Date:      Wed, 30 Dec 2009 19:53:13 +0100
From:      Joerg Wunsch <j@uriah.heep.sax.de>
To:        freebsd-acpi@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 8.0 hangs on boot with ACPI enabled

As Dana Myers wrote:

> I'm sure it's a side-effect of switching into ACPI mode.
> The Solaris port of ACPI CA has an option to leave the
> system in legacy mode during ACPI initialization which I've
> used to diagnose several instances of PCI config space
> being trampled by the ACPI-mode switch (done by SMM
> BIOS code).  Sometimes an update to the BIOS solves
> the problem, but usually not.

The strange thing is that this very same mainboard with the very same
BIOS used to be my main FreeBSD workhorse in the past (until about a
year ago), when it ran fine including ACPI (with a FreeBSD version of
approximately 6.x).  The only thing that changed now is the
configuration of the remaining peripherals.