Date:      Thu, 12 Jul 2001 15:40:21 -0700 (PDT)
From:      abram olson <dacia_icarus@yahoo.com>
To:        parv <parv_@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: mass uninstall all ports?

I have updated the ports using cvsup.  So, this:

cd /var/db/pkg && pkg_delete -fd *

will remove all the packages and ports that are
installed?

I really want to understand what I'm doing here ;-)

Another person suggested I do:

pkg_info | cut -d\  -f1 | xargs pkg_delete

what is the difference between what these two commands
will do?

Abe
--- parv <parv_@yahoo.com> wrote:
> on Jul 12 18:19, i got this from abram...
> > I just updated from 4.3 release to 4.3 stable.  My
> > entire system is built via ports.  I want to make
> some
> > updates but I keep running into endless dependency
> > chains.  I'm doing a
> > make clean   in /usr/ports right now to see if
> that
> > helps.
>
> if you haven't updated your /usr/ports tree since
> you have installed
> software from there, the you need to do...
>
> # cd /usr/ports && make deinstall # inplace of
> 'clean'
>

> > If it doesn't, is there a way to remove every
> package
> > that isn't part of the base system at one go?  I'm
> > happy to start over especially since I've got much
> > better compiler optimizations now then when I
> first
> > built this system ;-)
> >

> if you have updated your ports tree or added
> packages via pkg_add,
> then you may try this...
>
> # cd /var/db/pkg && pkg_delete -fd *
>
> ...to force (-f) removal & deletion of empty
> directories (-d). if you
> are running 4.3*, then you should be able to use the
> wildcard.
>

> --
>  so, do you like word games or scrabble?
> 	 - parv

=====
Jesus saves.
Allah forgives,
Cthulu thinks you'd make a nice sandwich.