Date:      Sat, 5 Oct 1996 13:29:54 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Andreas Klemm <andreas@klemm.gtn.com>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.de>
Cc:        barnes@biodec.wustl.edu, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: help find compiler, please.

On Sat, 5 Oct 1996, Greg Lehey wrote:

> Wayne M. Barnes, Ph.D. writes:
> >
> > We have searched in vain for a C++ compiler on FreeBSD/Linux that is
> > robust enought to be able to compile Rogue Wave class templates.
> > g++ just isn't there yet.  We did find one other compiler, and it
> > failed also.  If you know of one that will do it, let us know.
>
> Just out of interest, what's wrong with gcc that makes it unable to
> compile the templates?  Are you sure it's not a problem with the
> sources?  C++ is a moving target, and it's quite possible that gcc is
> correct in not compiling them.  If not, I'm sure the gcc people would
> like to know how it breaks.

FreeBSD-current now has gcc 2.7.2.1 and libg++ 2.7.2 if that might
be of interest ... If I remember right, some people said on the
mailinglists, that some C++ projects are only to handle with gcc-2.7.x.

So maybe migrating to -current with an experimental machine might
solve your problem ?! I'd simly try it ... -current is stable enough.
I run it for months without backups ... (not because I'm too lazy,
only because I don't have a tape anymore ;)

	Andreas ///

--
andreas@klemm.gtn.com         /\/\___      Wiechers & Partner Datentechnik GmbH
   Andreas Klemm          ___/\/\/         Support Unix -- andreas.klemm@wup.de