Date:      Wed, 7 Jun 1995 12:24:45 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com>
To:        terry@cs.weber.edu (Terry Lambert)
Cc:        john@pyromania.apana.org.au, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Intel Triton Chipset...

> > I am have been running FreeBSD 2.0R on a SOYO/Intel Neptune chipset P90
> > motherboard for the last few months. I am using a NCR PCI SCSI Controller.
> >
> > Everything has been running fine..
> >
> > I am about to upgrade to a SOYO/Intel Triton chipset P100 motherboard and
> > I was wondering if there would be any problems running FreeBSD 2.0R with
> > this new chipset ?
>
> You will be able to use more than 2 bus mastering PCI devices (good).
> You will not be able to use parity memory (bad).
>
> Should run fine.
>
> Should run "better than fine" if you can get EDO cache RAM.
>
> Rod sells the EDO cache RAM when he has it.

And it is become much more avaliable, still can't get 16MB simms,
but the 4 and 8MB flavors are now almost commoditites.

I am still working an EDO bug with ASUS, so am not shipping any
systems with EDO right now...

And a real surpize for you all...  I got 10% of this weeks USA shipment
of ASUS PCI/I-P55TP4XE boards allocated to me today.  This is the first
shipment of the boards, with volume picking up in 2 to 3 weeks.  I will begin
evaluation of the boards this weekend.  The boards I have coming in
are all spoken for so don't ask me for one (well, a very large bribe
might get you one :-).

There is no pipeline burst cache modules avaliable yet for these, so
don't ask about that either.  ASUS can't tell me when, and my converstions
with SamSung distribution have indicated they won't be out for quite
some time.  Since this is a replaceable module (160pin DIMM) you can
upgrade in the future.

The going price on this board will be well under $300 with 256K async
SRAM cache.

Here is the data sheet:

                    ASUS PCI/I-P55TP4XE Mainboard

Specifications:

- Processor (Intel Socket 7 ZIF Socket for CPU)
  . Intel Pentium Processor 75/90/100/120 MHz (P54C)

- Coprocessor
  . Internal Coprocessor of Pentium Processor

- Chipset
  . Intel Triton Chipset

- Architecture
  . 32-bit PCI Bus and 16-bit ISA Bus compatible

- Cache Memory
  . 256KB/512KB Pipelined Burst SRAM Module
[Not avaliable at this time, expect end of summer or there abouts]

  . 256KB/512KB Asynchronous SRAM for option
[Can only order the board right now with a 256K module, SamSung is
getting me volume pricing on 512K modules now with no avalibility
date known]

- System Memory
  . Four 72-pin SIMM Sockets Support 8MB to 128MB
  . Use 4/8/16/32MB 72-pin DRAM Module with 70ns Fast Page Mode or EDO DRAM
[Requires 60nS chips to run 100Mhz CPU's]

- On Board Super I/O
  . 1 Floppy Port (2.88MB)
  . 2 Serial Ports (16550 Fast UART Compatible)
  . 1 Parallel Port (ECP, EPP Port)
  . IrDA TX/RX Header
[This is InfaRed stuff, don't have many details on it, probably for
running a wire less keyboard and/or mouse???]

- On Board PCI IDE
  . 2 x PCI Bus Master IDE ports (up to 4 IDE devices)
  . Support:
    . PIO Mode 3 & 4: 17 MB/Sec. (Max)
    . DMA Mode 2: 22 MB/Sec. (Max)

- Expansion Slots
  . 3 32-bit PCI slots
  . 1 32-bit PCI slots consists of ASUS proprietaty MediaBus
[Don't have any details on this, well post about it once I
have the boards]
  . 3 16-bit ISA slots

- BIOS
  . Award Pentium PCI BIOS with Gree and Plug and Play Features
  . NCR PCI SCSI BIOS
  . 1M-bit Flash EPROM

- Board Size
  . 2/3 Baby AT Size, 25.9cm x 22.1cm (10.2" x 8.7")