Date:      Mon, 12 Nov 2001 13:40:52 -0500
From:      Louis LeBlanc <leblanc+freebsd@keyslapper.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   sshd and X11 forwarding?

--NklN7DEeGtkPCoo3

Hope this isn't too far OT, but I am trying to get X11 forwarding to
work between 2 FreeBSD machines, both running 4.4 RELEASE.

Both have the following in /etc/ssh/sshd_config:

StrictModes yes
X11Forwarding yes
X11DisplayOffset 10
PrintMotd yes
KeepAlive yes

My understanding of this is that when you execute a prog that requires
an X display, it will forward the windows, transients, etc to the
client box.  And the DISPLAY should set to something like <IP>:10.0.

However, the DISPLAY never gets set, so no forwarding.  Naturally,
sshd is not stupid enough to just let me set my own, since that would
be very unlikely to be a valid display, and also quite a security
hole.

This  isn't a  firewall  issue, since  only the  client  is running  a
firewall, which is wide open to the server IP. The server is behind an
ACL based  gateway, which allows all  traffic to and from  the client.
The DISPLAY in any ssh connection is just not being set.

Any ideas what I could be missing?

TIA & HAND
Lou
--=20
Louis LeBlanc               leblanc@keyslapper.org
http://www.keyslapper.org                     =D4=BF=D4=AC

Research is to see what everybody else has seen, and think what nobody
else has thought.

--NklN7DEeGtkPCoo3

--NklN7DEeGtkPCoo3--