Date:      Fri, 14 Mar 2003 08:55:11 -0500
From:      "Louis A. Mamakos" <louie@TransSys.COM>
To:        "Bruce A. Mah" <bmah@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        Eric Anholt <eta@lclark.edu>, ports@FreeBSD.ORG, stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: HEADSUP: XFree86 4.3.0 update (probably solved)

> If memory serves me right, Bruce A. Mah wrote:
> > If memory serves me right, Eric Anholt wrote:
> > > I've committed the update of XFree86 to 4.3.0 to ports.  I think I've
> > > cleaned up after my mess at this point, but there may still be issues.
> > > Please report to me if you have any problems with the new ports or any
> > > issues with XFree86 that you didn't have in 4.2.0.
> >
> > I seem to have done Something Bad (TM) during my attempt to upgrade
> > XFree86.  I used portupgrade to upgrade imake and the various XFree86*
> > ports on my 4-STABLE system (rebuilt around 3 March).
> >
> > Basically, when I fire up the server, my keyboard doesn't work (very
> > well, anyways).  The numeric keypad works, but none of the other keys
> > seem to do anything; I can't even switch to another VTY.  I've
> > appended the stderr output at the bottom of this message.
>
> Update here: I was able to more easily recreate the problem by running
> xkbcomp on /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xkb/compat/xfree86 and observing the
> warning messages (similar to my prior message).  This is good since I
> won't have physical access to the system in question until Monday.

I had the same problem.  I don't know what caused it, but if you turn
off the XKB extension with

     Option "XkbDisable"

in the ServerFlags section of your XF86Config file, you'll at least get
the keyboard working agin.

I was also getting some errors from xkbcomp invoked from the X server, and I
didn't have time to figure out how to fix it.

> I ended up blowing away all of the XFree86 ports from the system and
> reinstalling everything from the meta-port.  The warnings from xkbcomp
> went away, so I have this warm fuzzy feeling that when I get to my
> workstation, everything will be fine.  (In the meantime, my T21
> upgraded successfully with portupgrade.)

This is very disappointing.  I shouldn't have to nuke the ports all back to
bare metal to make this work, sigh.

louie