Date:      Wed, 26 Jun 1996 00:50:18 -0700
From:      David Greenman <davidg@root.com>
To:        John Hay <jhay@mikom.csir.co.za>
Cc:        dyson@FreeBSD.org, stable@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Another try at the vm_pageout.c -stable diff

>>    Here is yet another diff. This is the product of a discussion I just had
>> with John about the nature of some of the performance problems people have
>> complained about.
>>    This makes a slight change to the policy for bringing pages off of the
>> active queue and should make the statistics gather *much* more effective
>> in some cases. Please try it out and get back to us. Thanks!
>>
>> -DG
>>
>> David Greenman
>> Core-team/Principal Architect, The FreeBSD Project
>>
>> (This includes John's other changes, so apply this to a fresh -stable copy of
>> vm_pageout.c)
>>

>I'm not sure how relevant this still is. I see that there was a few commits
>during the night (well night for me here in SA).
>
>David I have tried your patch, but the kernel dies with "panic: unwire:
>page not in pmap" as soon as the machine starts to swap. It did not say
>anything more.
>| f0186eb0 T _vmtotal
>| f0187060 F vm_mmap.o

   Hmmm. I just discovered that my test kernel had the "NO_SWAPPING" option in
it and thus didn't exercise this piece of code. I'm building a kernel right
now with that option removed. I also did a careful code review of that patch,
but something apparantly slipped by. I'm working on it...

-DG

David Greenman