Date:      Fri, 30 Jun 2000 14:27:02 -0500
From:      Glenn Johnson <gjohnson@nola.srrc.usda.gov>
To:        ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: AbiWord does not build

On Wed, Jun 28, 2000 at 05:19:13PM -0500, Glenn Johnson wrote:

> I just did a cvsup and made sure all dependent ports were up to date
> but AbiWord does not build. I get a whole bunch of warnings about ANSI
> C violations from header files and then it finally goes down with
>
> iconv/iconv.c:82: syntax error before `proc'
> iconv/iconv.c:83: warning: implicit declaration of function `proc'
> iconv/iconv.c:80: warning: unused variable `out'
> iconv/iconv.c:79: warning: unused variable `j'
> iconv/iconv.c:79: warning: unused variable `i'
> gmake[4]: ***
> [/ccd/ports/editors/AbiWord/work/abi-0.7.10/src/../src/FreeBSD_4.0-STABLE_i386_OBJ/obj/wv/iconv/iconv.o]
> Error 1

I found the problem with my AbiWord build. I had mswordview installed
on the machine. Mswordview installs ${LOCALBASE}/lib/wv-lib.a and
${LOCALBASE}/include/wv.h. AbiWord includes its own, apparently
incompatible, version of wv. However, the build was picking up the
mswordview version of wv and causing it to fail.

I guess this would not show up in Asami's automated builds as I would
guess editors/AbiWord is built before textproc/mswordview, which builds
fine after AbiWord is installed. AbiWord does not install the wv stuff,
it is just used for the build apparently.

I guess the fix is to make sure that AbiWord looks in its local src tree
before /usr/local, in case mswordview is installed.

--
Glenn Johnson
USDA, ARS, SRRC			 Phone: (504) 286-4252