Date:      Sun, 26 Sep 2004 11:42:17 +0930
From:      "Daniel O'Connor" <doconnor@gsoft.com.au>
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Cc:        Jeremy Chadwick <freebsd@jdc.parodius.com>
Subject:   Re: USB memory stick hotswap problems

--nextPart2509521.9Y24kvryh8

On Sun, 26 Sep 2004 10:29, Jeremy Chadwick wrote:
> Can't usbd (or better yet, usbd.conf) be modified or changed in some way
> to automatically handle the unmounting of any existing filesystems that
> match the device which is mounted?
>
> Seems like we're eventually going to need this to make hot-swappable USB
> devices more friendly.  I understand why you must unmount a device
> before SCSI CAM gets disconnected from it, but it just seems that this
> should be a job for usbd.

The problem is that once the device is removed it's too late :(

One possibility would be to add a facility to mark all the data for a certa=
in=20
device to be non-critical so it will throw it away when it tries to flush i=
t=20
and fails instead of panicing.

=2D-=20
are so many of them to choose from."