Date:      Wed, 24 Sep 1997 13:54:04 -0400
From:      "Mark Kelly" <kelly@cs.utk.edu>
To:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Can't Get FreeBSD 2.2.2 to Boot!

 I can't get FreeBSD 2.2.2 to boot.  I have gone thru the installation
several times and get the same results.  I have used the novice, expert, and
express installations and it doesn't seem to make a difference.

My setup is as follows
Drive 1 - 3.2 gig
    with 2.2 gig Win95/NT partition
    and 1.0 gig FreeBSD Partition
Drive 2 - 6X NEC CD ROM Changer(holds 4 CDs) IDE
Drive 3 - 2.0/4.0 Gig Seagate Tape backup IDE
CPU - Pentium 200
RAM - 64 megs
Video - 4 meg ATI 3D Expression (Mach 64 chipset)
Network - Cardware PCI ethernet adapter

This all installs ok with no errors (except that it doen't pick up the
network card).  I have tried it with and without the boot manager but
nothing seems to happen.  With the Boot Manager I get :

F1 - Windows 95   (Works Fine)
F2- FreeBSD         (Freezes and doesn't say anything)

Any Idea what I am doing wrong?  When I did the install  the first time and
booted to FreeBSD it said "cannot read media" or something very similar.  I
assumed this was because the disk geometry was wrong in the setup and I went
back in and fixed it and reinstalled (several times now) and now it just
freezes whenever I try to go into FreeBSD.

I tried to boot with the fixit disk, but that didn't do any good either.  It
tells me that it can't find the kernel.  Please help, this is driving me up
the wall!!

Mark Kelly
kelly@cs.utk.edu