Date:      Tue, 21 Nov 2006 20:08:42 -0600
From:      "illoai@gmail.com" <illoai@gmail.com>
To:        "Robert Davison" <rob_27_preston@yahoo.co.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Upgrade Question

On 11/21/06, Robert Davison <rob_27_preston@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
> If my cvs-upfile reads, and specfically im looking at the default release line....
>
>   *default release=cvs delete use-rel-suffix compress
> *default delete use-rel-suffix
>
>   src-all
> ports-all tag=.
> doc-all tag=.
>
>   Can anyone tell me what release and branch of FreeBSD
>   im tracking. its a 6.1 system. I'm asking as I will soon be
>   testing the waters with Buildworld and mergemaster etc to
>   get to 6.2. What would the default release= change to then
>   ? if 'cvs' is tracking the 6.1 branch ?????

You need to specify a tag= either for *default or for src-all

RELENG_6_2 for the latest 6.2
or
RELENG_6_1 for the latest 6.1 (security updates)
or
RELENG_6 for whatever 6-STABLE is (6.2 right now but will soon
enough be moving on towards 6.3.).

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/cvsup.html

Especially noting the part:
"There is an important special case that comes into play if you
specify neither a tag= field nor a date= field. In that case, you
receive the actual RCS files directly from the server's CVS
repository, rather than receiving a particular version. "