Date:      Sun, 20 Aug 2000 23:03:32 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Billy <billy@speakeasy.org>
To:        freebsd-smp@freebsd.org, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   My System Hangs/Deadlock?

I am currently experiencing problems with my FreeBSD system.  I just
recently go in my dual celeron/abit box in and have just started to
use it.  I am experiencing a strange problem I've never seen before.

Whenever I do some intensive work, my computer will lock up.  I still
see my terminal screen, but it will accept no keyboard/mouse/network
input.  It won't even return attempted network connections, it just
sits there dead for all intents and purposes and will stay like this
for as long as I leave it(the longest being ~24H).  I have to do a
hard reset to reboot my machine, at which point it commes up fine
(usually, although I have had to fsck the disk once when I did this).
I do have an SMP system, however this problem occurs on either SMP or
non-SMP kernel.  This also occurs with and without runnning X.

I am running 4.1-STABLE FreeBSD 4.1-STABLE with an SMP kernel.  I have
one IDE disk (DMA not used because of previous problems).  I have a
fairly vanilla kernel config.  All SCSI entries have been removed, as
have device entries for devices I do not have.

It does not look like a hardware problem to me (no kernel panics, no
reboots, etc).  It does look like a deadlocking problem of some kind,
but I havn't seen anything in the mail archive or the newsgroups
recently about deadlocks (except for something unrelated I think).

If you have any ideas please let me know.  It's kind of annoying for
my non-windows box to need a hard reset.

Relevant Hardware
Dual ABit BP6
2 Celeron 466 PPGA
Maxtor 20GB 7200RPM Drive EIDE