Date:      Thu, 18 Feb 2010 23:09:32 -0800
From:      Lucas Wang <lucas@cs.ucla.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Making installworld got stuck on SunFire v20z (Freebsd 8.0)

I tried to install Freebsd 8.0 on one of our lab machines, which is
SunFire v20z. After successfully installing it from CD, I followed the
following steps trying to update the kernel and world:

cvsup
make buildworld
make buildkernel
make installkernel
reboot
mergemaster -p
make installworld

Everything was fine until the `make installworld` process run for a =
while and then got stuck,=20
after that it won't respond to Ctrl-C. When I tried to login from =
another tty, it=20
doesn't respond either. I even tried installing the machine from scratch
several times, and at different times it got stuck when installing =
different libraries.=20

I would really appreciate any ideas about why this could happen or how
to solve it.

Lucas