Date:      Fri, 27 Apr 2007 10:44:53 +0200
From:      Alexander Leidinger <Alexander@Leidinger.net>
To:        Michael Vince <mv@thebeastie.org>
Cc:        freebsd-database@freebsd.org, freebsd-emulation@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Oracle 10g on FreeBSD

Quoting Michael Vince <mv@thebeastie.org> (from Fri, 27 Apr 2007 =20
17:55:04 +1000):

> Alexander Leidinger wrote:
>> Quoting Michael Vince <mv@thebeastie.org> (from Fri, 27 Apr 2007  =20
>> 13:11:07 +1000):
>>
>>> I have been contemplating buying a high end server and running a lot of
>>> stuff on it in jails including Oracle 10g under linux emu.
>>> I would be using Amd64 as the server would have 8gigs of ram or more.
>>
>> You will not be able to use this much of RAM in linux programs.  =20
>> Only 32bit linux programs run on amd64 so far.
>>
> The idea behind using Amd64 FreeBSD is just to be able to use a lot of
> ram for the other regular jails etc.
> The Linux Oracle would be the 32bit version, Oracle unlike MySQL
> appears to slice it self up into a lot of smaller sized processes a lot
> like Postgres.
> Do you think I would have any issues using it this way?

No, but linux-aio may be needed for Oracle (not available in -current yet).

Bye,
Alexander.

--=20
Amy: "What about Umbrielle?"
Fry: "Well, it turned out I loved her, but I wasn't in love with her."
Amy: "Trouble in bed."

http://www.Leidinger.net    Alexander @ Leidinger.net: PGP ID =3D B0063FE7
http://www.FreeBSD.org       netchild @ FreeBSD.org  : PGP ID =3D 72077137