Date:      Wed, 29 Jan 1997 18:49:48 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        Rob Hartill <robh@imdb.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 2.1.6 -> 2.2

On Wed, 29 Jan 1997, Rob Hartill wrote:

> I looked for a better address, but didn't find one.
>
> I used cvsup to grab 2.2 using 'tag=RELENG_2_2' in order to try to move
> from 2.1.6 to 2.2.

This is doing it the hard way.  You can just boot the 2.2 boot floppy and
select the 'upgrade' option, which will preserve your system but upgrade
everything.

Instructions available on request.

> Do you run 'make world' before building a new kernel or after ? After
> sounds safer to me, but I hit errors in doing a "make depend" when trying
> to create a GENERIC or custom kernel. The errors are for missing files:

I don't think it matters.

Did you rm -rf /usr/src/sys and made sure that your cvsupfile is pointing
to the proper directory?