Date:      Tue, 03 Oct 2000 13:54:07 -0700
From:      Mike Smith <msmith@freebsd.org>
To:        "O. Hartmann" <ohartman@ipamzlx.physik.uni-mainz.de>
Cc:        freebsd-alpha@freebsd.org, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Digital Multia/Alpha problems

> Dear Sirs.
> My problem is trivial, but essential. I lost my console
> on one of my Multias. There is only one message line on
> the bottom of the screen, but no possible input, no chance to
> engage ARC/SRM console. How can I bring back the console to the
> internal video adaptor?

Power up with a keyboard connected, wait for the keyboard to be
initialised and then hit ^C and Enter a lot.  SRM listens to the keyboard
even when it's talking to the serial port, and this should cause it to
break the boot process and return to the commandline, as well as
switching video output on.