Date:      Tue, 14 Dec 1999 19:28:09 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        brett@lariat.org (Brett Glass)
Cc:        dscheidt@enteract.com, tlambert@primenet.com, noslenj@swbell.net, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: dual 400 -> dual 600 worth it?

> >There are those of us who have machines that need long cables.  One of the
> >boxes I manage has disks that are 15 meters away from the CPU cabinet.
>
> There will always be some of these, but they'll be statistically rare.

They may be disproportionately rare, but I'd also say they were
also the boxes with a disproportionately large number of the
disks in the world.  8-).

> SCSI can really only have 7 disks per cable. (Yes, I know, you can extend
> the addressing to get 15, or use logical units, but this causes problems
> with bus loading and also with contention for the bus.)
>
> Also, I'm sure you will agree that hundreds of spindles on one computer
> is not the norm. We shouldn't bog down our core standards because of one
> case that's several sigma off the low end of the probability scale.

I don't see how core standards are getting bogged down by this;
you personally use IDE, right?  So it doesn't bog you down, at
least not except in the sense that you are already bogged down
by not being able to interleave your commands because your chosen
interface doesn't full implement its core standard.

> Also, putting that much disk space on a single machine may not be a good idea.
> If it has that much data to serve up or search, it's probably going to be
> strapped for CPU cycles or network bandwidth.

I only have two things to say to that:

1)	Altavista
2)	www.cdrom.com

					Terry Lambert