Date:      Thu, 7 Aug 1997 12:21:11 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        Charles Henrich <henrich@crh.cl.msu.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Swap Files

On Tue, 5 Aug 1997, Charles Henrich wrote:

> On the subject of Re: Swap Files, Doug White stated:
>
> > Are you trying to make a vnswap space?  Didn't you allocate a partition for
> > swap?  You should have during initial system setup.
>
> A) Yes, B) No.  Does FreeBSD require a swap partition to operate?

No, but if you run out of memory then the system will start randomly
killing processes.  This means keeping things under control in 256mb.
This wouldn't be good if you get a bout of good Web traffic or similiar.

> > See vnconfig(8) for details on how to set this up.  Your performance is
> > going to be horrible though; I would suggest repartitioning if this is a new
> > system.
>
> Why should it be any worse than a swap partition?

It's much slower since it has to fuddle with the filesystem vs. having an
entire slice to format as it likes.

Spam routed to /dev/null by Procmail    | Death to Cyberpromo