Date:      Mon, 21 Sep 1998 15:06:19 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Promotional CDs and evil customs agencies.

On Thursday, 17 September 1998 at  0:52:00 -0700, Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:
> [ I know that this is typically -chat material, but I'm not going to
>   reach the people who are actually involved by sending this to -chat ]

Following up to -chat anyway.

> I just thought I'd let folks know that I've reached a hard, but
> irrevokable, decision with regard to sending promotional CDs overseas:
>
> I'm not going to do it anymore.
>
> (painful justification omitted)

I'm a little puzzled.  WC have been doing this sort of thing for
years, and before Jack left he had more or less got the hang of it.
How come they want you to be involved?

The real issue isn't so much that there are problems getting freebies
through customs, but that the problems are different for *every*
country (and especially India).  For the EU, I'd think that it would
make most sense to export to Denmark (which IIRC is the easiest to
penetrate) and then send them on from there.  For other parts of the
world, there isn't much tax cooperation.  I note that the CDs I got
came through with no problems, as apparently did the CDs sent to
Norway with my invoice (I got the Norwegian invoice :-), so some
countries don't cause too many problems.  But the whole thing looks
like a WC problem, not a FreeBSD problem.

Greg