Date:      Tue, 28 Mar 2000 16:45:07 -0600 (CST)
From:      Conrad Sabatier <conrads@home.com>
To:        csanakana <csanakana@cox.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Mail mystery possibly solved (Re: Majordomo results: which)

[Mail to Cox@Home rep, Cc:'ed to freebsd-questions]

On 28-Mar-00 csanakana wrote:
> Hello Conrad,
>
> Thank you for your email.

[verbiage about possible reasons for e-mail failures snipped for brevity]

I think I may know what happened.  I was just reviewing my logs under
FreeBSD, which is my OS of choice and the one I run about 99.99% of the
time.  Saturday afternoon I had rebooted into Windows to do something.
Since I'm on quite a few mailing lists, which I have filtered and sorted
into various folders under FreeBSD, I generally don't check my e-mail when
I'm using Windows, as was the case last Saturday.  This is very likely
when the problem arose.

Under FreeBSD, I run a background fetchmail process every five minutes, so
my remote mailbox will never overflow.  Apparently, I was in Windows just
long enough for an overrun to occur, and mail must have started bouncing
back to the FreeBSD mailing lists' majordomo server, which I've been told
will automatically unsubscribe an address from which it receives an
excessive number of bounces.

Again, I'm just assuming this may have been the cause.  I could be
mistaken.  I would greatly appreciate it if you could check your system
logs for any clues as to what actually did occur.

Thanks for the reply.  Much appreciated.

Conrad Sabatier

--
Conrad Sabatier
http://members.home.net/conrads/