Date:      Sun, 9 Feb 2003 18:14:30 +0100
From:      Matthias Schuendehuette <msch@snafu.de>
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, Chris Delnooz <c.delnooz@home.nl>, William Palfreman <william@palfreman.com>
Subject:   Re: Grub 0.92 fails to recognise disks on FBSD5

Hi all,

I'm fighting with the same problem and found that grub *does* recognize
the disks if started with '--read-only'...

That fits perfectly to the following paragraph found in the 5.0-RELEASE
Errata:

"The geom(4)-based disk partitioning code in the kernel will not allow
an open partition to be overwritten. This usually prevents the use of
disklabel -B to update the boot blocks on a disk because the a
partition overlaps the space where the boot blocks are stored. A
suggested workaround is to boot from an alternate disk, a CDROM, or a
fixit floppy."

I can happily boot -current with grub - booting isn't the problem,
installing it is the problem. And I installed grub from my 4.7-STABLE
installation... (happy to have one :-)

Grub seems to open disks/slices r/w and refuses to know them if that's
not possible. I, personally, would say that's a bug of grub but that
doesn't help here. It even doesn't help, if you run 5.0/-current on
your base disk because you can't write the MBR anyway.

My question to 'phk' is, if he (or anybody else) has or at least could
imagine a solution for this problem.

Nothing against 'booteasy', it does the job - but it looks ugly :-)
And I can't imagine that the majority of FreeBSD-Users all have a bunch
of disks in their systems - especially if I think of the giant sizes of
HDs nowadays...
--
Ciao/BSD - Matthias

Matthias Schuendehuette	<msch [at] snafu.de>, Berlin (Germany)