Date:      Sat, 22 Sep 2001 09:39:41 +0200
From:      Mathieu Arnold <arn_mat@club-internet.fr>
To:        freebsd hackers <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   MALLOC_DEFINE

Hi

I'm having memory problems using ipfilter. I have a lot of rules, and a
lot of traffic,

here is what i have from time to time :
IP states added:
        9469918 TCP
        1654588 UDP
        1451233 ICMP
        2869559782 hits
        100258517 misses
        0 maximum
        72605 no memory
        2915 bkts in use
        9766 active
        3099381 expired
        9393987 closed

and that, because ipfilter uses the temp memory zone, which is used by
many other kernel stuff, and sometime gets full.
in ip_state.h, I found :
#  ifdef        M_PFIL
#   define      KMALLOC(a, b)   MALLOC((a), b, sizeof(*(a)), M_PFIL,
M_NOWAIT)
#   define      KMALLOCS(a, b, c)       MALLOC((a), b, (c), M_PFIL,
M_NOWAIT)
#   define      KFREE(x)        FREE((x), M_PFIL)
#   define      KFREES(x,s)     FREE((x), M_PFIL)
#  else
#   define      KMALLOC(a, b)   MALLOC((a), b, sizeof(*(a)), M_TEMP,
M_NOWAIT)
#   define      KMALLOCS(a, b, c)       MALLOC((a), b, (c), M_TEMP,
M_NOWAIT)
#   define      KFREE(x)        FREE((x), M_TEMP)
#   define      KFREES(x,s)     FREE((x), M_TEMP)
#  endif /* M_PFIL */

I was wondering if it was possible to add some
MALLOC_DEFINE(M_PFIL, "ipfilter", "some bigger description");
or
static MALLOC_DEFINE(M_PFIL, "ipfilter", "some bigger description");

but I do not know where to put it, neither which one to use, as both are
used in the kernel source tree.

Some help would really be appreciated.

ps: FreeBSD mano.absolight.com 4.3-RELEASE-p19 FreeBSD 4.3-RELEASE-p19
#2: Fri Sep 14 20:09:37 CEST 2001
--
Mathieu Arnold