Date:      Mon, 15 Oct 2001 17:08:09 -0400 (EDT)
From:      <doug@safeport.com>
To:        Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: CVSup is overkill for me

Ah - that's a good question :) The real answer is - no good reason. I have a T1
connection so it almost always done by the time I make a cup of tea. When I
started I was not sure how much "magic" was build into the source tree and had
no real incentive to find out.

This started from the fact that the source tree must be mounted with the same
name on the client build. I assume that is still true. The laptop uses /usr/src
and my "production" tree is /usr/home/fbsd/stable/src/.

Right now I am running 4.4 everywhere and 4.3 on my laptop because of the PCCARD
issues with some Dell BIOS's. So there is a current reason; but that's unique to
4.4 and has not been true in the past.

On Mon, 15 Oct 2001, Mike Meyer wrote:

> doug@safeport.com types:
> > > Finally, rather than use the date tag to replicate the level of the
> > > test system, I prefer to build on one system, and use NFS to export
> > > that build to all the systems. Since my build system is noticably
> > > faster than the other systems, this safes time. It also means I'm
> > > running the exact same bits for world on all the systems, which makes
> > > me feel a bit better. The downside is that the build system has to
> > > build for 1) the least common denominator hardware and 2) everything
> > > that any system will need, but neither is a serious problem.
> > Again I agree, and do this. However I use date to duplicate the source tree on
> > my laptop so I can do fixes and update things when I am away from the office.
>
> Just curious - why not just copy the tree from your local system to
> the laptop? Why bother replicating it over the network?
>
> 	<mike
> --
> Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>			http://www.mired.org/home/mwm/
> Q: How do you make the gods laugh?		A: Tell them your plans.

_____
Douglas Denault
doug@safeport.com
Voice: 301-469-8766