Date:      Fri, 7 Jun 1996 17:11:46 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Jonathan M. Bresler" <jmb>
To:        deanf@www.durham.net (Dean Forester)
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: INN 1.4 unoff4 running on FreeBSD 2.1.0-RELEASE

Dean Forester wrote:

> Hi,
>
> The news spool is on one 4Gb drive, and the news home directory is on
> another 1Gb drive on a different controller (IDE).

	IDE drives vs SCSI drive have been discussed at length here
	and this may start the screaming again.  IDE uses much more cpu
	to do the same amount of i/o as compared to scsi.
	losts more interrupts == losts more context switches for less
	data each context switch.  this does not improve performance.

> What is the easiest way to add a new swap partition to this machine? I have
> another 1.7Gb hard drive here that can be installed.

	scsi, i hope?  due to a bug in the 2.1R install diskettes
	*DO NOT* use teh install diskettes to disklabel the new drive
	*UNLESS* you remove the other drives and boot from the floppy.

	<please repeat the above sentence twice more>

	when you disklablel the drive you can create another swap
	partition just like you did when you installed FreeBSD
	(swap spread over more disks is better anyways ;)

	consider moving the alt groups to the new drive.
	news hammers the hell out of disks.  more drive will
	make the news system run fasters.  beter 4 1GB drives than 1 4GB
	drives.

	use the search capaboilites of the www.freebsd.org web site to
	find old messages from joe greco about how to set up a hot
	news server.  and tell joe thanks ;))

jmb
--
Jonathan M. Bresler           FreeBSD Postmaster             jmb@FreeBSD.ORG