Date:      Sun, 26 Jan 2003 13:23:23 -0800
From:      walt <wa1ter@hotmail.com>
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Installing from CDROM, errors

Damien U wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I will firstly say that although I am not experienced with freeBSD, I have been using Linux for some time. I obtained the first ISO in the set for FreeBSD 5.0-RELEASE last saturday, here are the problems I have been experiencing whilst attempting to install it.

> 2) Cannot create partition for FreeBSD
>
> I can create a "slice" for freeBSD in fdisk, but it calls the partition "X". When I go to commit the changes to hard drive and start the install, freeBSD complains that it cannot find "/dev/X". I have found no way to correct the name in fdisk.
>
> Here is my partition table as reported by cfdisk under linux:
>
>  Name    Part Type   FS Type     Size (MB)
>  ------------------------------------------
>  hda1    Primary     NTFS        20974.47
>  hda2    Primary     Ext3        10487.24
>  hda3    Primary     Linux Swap  205.64
>  hda5    Logical     FAT32       10511.91
>  hda6    Logical     Reiserfs    10692.87
>  hda7    Logical     Reiserfs    10001.95
>          Logical     Free Space  17149.71

The BSD family of operating systems must be installed in a 'primary' partition,
i.e. those numbered from 1 to 4.  More correctly, the root partition / must be
in a primary partition -- FreeBSD will happily use a 'logical' partition for
any other partition, but not for /.

You could copy your ext3 filesystem into a logical partition in free space
and then install FBSD in hda2 -- or ad0s2 as FBSD would call it.

I understand that this restriction is not theoretically necessary, but just
because the bootloader (and perhaps other code) has never been extended to use
logical partitions.

I would guess that FBSD 4.7 will not even let you attempt to create a partition
in the free space, but I can't recall for sure.