Date:      Wed, 23 Oct 2002 03:34:37 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Annelise Anderson <andrsn@andrsn.stanford.edu>
To:        pippo@bellnet.ca
Cc:        freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: upgrade to 4.7

On Tue, 22 Oct 2002 pippo@bellnet.ca wrote:

> I want to upgrade FreeBSD from 4.62 to 4.7 so I can use openoffice.
> I find the instructions in the handbook incomplete:
> 21.4 Using make world

It's puzzling to figure out what went wrong here--did you get
sources with cvsup? If so, do the various directories in /usr/src have
populated subdirectories?

Mergemaster is the last step, after you're run make buildworld, built and
loaded a new kernel, run installworld.  Portupgrade has to do with
third-party software, not the base system, and so it isn't really
relevant to this process. There are some indications you have actually
upgraded to 5.0, and not 4.7--that did you use for a tag in your supfile?

Mergemaster uses sdiff (so man sdiff if you're going to use it).  It seems
you chose the empty side of the comparisons on the merge.

Looking at the /usr/src/sys/conf/newvers.sh may tell you what you're got
sources for...look at some dates on your files.

If your "*.old" files look good to you you might restore them.  It seems
you might have merged something empty (whatever is in /usr/src/etc?)

I guess in the end I'd be inclined to restore the *.old files (that is,
move them to their working names), and then try to figure out what went
wrong.

> In trying to use mergemaster, I find it incomprehensible as to what the
> program actually does and what I am supposed to direct it to do.
> It is not clear as to what is done with the master.passwd and group files
> and where they are installed or how they are modified.
> I tried to be ultra conservative and backed up the /etc/group and
> /etc/master.passwd files to *.old and then ran mergemaster.
> It was thereafter not clear who(what process or program) would use the new
> file (which, where) or how the files would be merged. I chose the 'm'
> option to merge the files, assuming that the existing passwords, users and
> groups would be merged into the new file. Then to verify, I entered the 'v'
> option; but this produced nothing.
> Thinking that the backups would be insurance, I then opted for 'i'.
> On exiting mergemaster, I chose to leave the temp files.
> I did not run the pwd_mkdb -p as suggested until after verifying the /etc
> directory and the /var/tmp/temproot/etc directories:
> SURPRISE
> the /etc/group, /etc/passwd and /etc/master.passwd files are empty.
> And there is nothintg in the /var/tmp/temproot/etc directory
> What in the world is going on here?
> I have not closed down or rebooted as I am afraid that the whole
> installation will be shot to hell.
> What do I do?
> Will restoring the saved group and master.passwd files do anything? Then
> there is the empty passwd file. I suppose that running vipw and adduser
> might fix things...
> Also, there was no /etc/make.conf file. The installation has been pretty
> much "by the book" using portupgrade" ...

Actually portupgrade has to do with upgrading third-party software...so
isn't relevant to upgrading the base system.

> Everything works just fine - Xfree86-4.2; cups, kde3; I just want to
> upgrade to 4.7 for openoffice.
> Please help
> PJ

It's hard to figure out what's wrong when the situation of not standard...
you have to explore a littel to find out where the system is...

Sorry that won't all help much--

	Annelise

--
Annelise Anderson
Author of: 		 FreeBSD: An Open-Source Operating System for Your PC