Date:      Fri, 02 Mar 2012 23:29:53 +1000
From:      Da Rock <freebsd-questions@herveybayaustralia.com.au>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Brother Printer

On 03/02/12 23:13, siefke_listen@web.de wrote:
> Hello,
>
> On Fri, 02 Mar 2012 22:40:21 +1000 Da Rock wrote:
>> Are you sure its just a script? Any clue as to what shell it is using?
>> Bash? I do believe there should be some binaries there somewhere as well.
> Yes im sure. I have a ppd File, they linked
> to /usr/local/libexec/brlpdwrapperMFC730 and thats a shell scipt.
>
> Bash, its start with #! /bin/sh.
>
>> Do you know what printer language it is using? This was mostly obscured
>> on the net, but I presume GDI.
> Yes the printer use GDI. I have try other Brother Printer Driver, but thats
> most end in empty letter print without end.
>

>> You'll be lucky if you get an answer, but it will invariably be "no.
>> Piss off, its not worth our time".
> That makes me really angry. I understand it even if software companies keep
> your code closed, every programmer has to eat too. But why not give hardware
> manufacturers enough information so that other programmers can assemble a
> capable driver, is beyond my understanding.
Same with most hardware- makes no sense whatsoever. But thats the
ridiculous world we live in where greedy nutters rule the roost and
demand every last blood soaked dollar in the twisted name of
intellectual property.
>> Its always hard to give up on a piece of hardware that _should_ work.
>> Depends how hard you want to work to get it to operate: you can probably
>> get one of those old pdp systems they've mentioned here recently to run
>> FreeBSD, but it will take a lot of work :) But you do have a lot of help
>> here...
> I know FreeBSD now for 4 years. I started on my servers, then I am also
> change the Ubuntu Desktop (shame) to Freebsd. Only now I have
> installed Gentoo, because FreeBSD will not run some programms.
> Gentoo comes very close to Freebsd. The community from FreeBSD
> is really the best i see. The community of Freebsd share the knowledge,
> without making to smart.
The lists are so vastly different, and for FreeBSD they're really quite
welcoming as opposed to being narky and flammable. Desktop usage on
FreeBSD has also greatly improved; I've been using FreeBSD for about 5
years now on laptops as well, and have rid myself of linux for the past
2. For servers I've been using it a lot longer.
> PS. When u want see the scripts i can send it. Its really all shell scripts.
That might be interesting to see as I'm surprised there are no binaries
at all. Might be able to figure out a solution too...