Date:      Tue, 24 May 2005 12:38:09 +0200
From:      Hans Petter Selasky <hselasky@c2i.net>
To:        freebsd-isdn@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Asterisk on FreeBSD + ISDN BRI

On Monday 23 May 2005 23:02, Cian Hughes wrote:
> Hello all, I am new to this list and to asterisk but would like to
> install Asterisk on a spare box to act as a PBX at home, basically
> I'm going to route most of my calls over IP, but for incoming,
> emergency, toll free, faxes, etc I want to use ISDN (EuroISDN I'm in
> Ireland).
> I have one sticking point, I don't really want four BRIs so a quadBRI
> seems like overkill. However I'm still undecided on what card to buy,
> since this is nothing mission critical I would initially like to
> start with a cheap passive card

If you're looking for a cheap passive ISDN-card for FreeBSD-5/6, there is the
HFC based devices:

     AcerISDN P10
     Asuscom ISDNLink P-IN100-ST-D2
     Bewan ISDN USB TA
     Bewan Modem RNIS USB
     Billion ISDN tiny USB modem
     Billion USB TA 2
     DrayTec ISDN USB
     DrayTek USB ISDN TA (MiniVigor)
     HFC-2BDS0 ISA/PnP/PCI/USB ISDN
     Motorola MC145575
     OliTec ISDN USB
     OliTec Modem RNIS USB V2
     Stollmann USB TA
     Teles S0/16.3c PnP
     Telewell
     Trust ISDN
     Twister ISDN TA
     Xplorer 500
     Zoltrix Speedier 128K PCI

I checked out "www.asterix.org" and couldn't find that it supported ISDN4BSD.
The problem is that I4B has a delay of 256ms per direction for sound-data,
though that can be tweaked to 50ms by changing the drivers. You will get best
results if the sound is bridged in hardware and not software.

Emergency calls over VOIP is problematic. Have you considered network power
failures and software crashes?

> and if all doesn't go well i'll buy
> something better. Anyway could I please have everyone and anyone's
> experience of ISDN on FreeBSD (with asterisk or similar), what cards
> are supported, what cards work well?

--HPS