Date:      Fri, 21 Jun 1996 12:18:43 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@riley-net170-164.uoregon.edu>
To:        Alexander Goltsov <alex@amt.ru>
Cc:        "'questions@FreeBSD.org'" <questions@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: CDROM

On Fri, 21 Jun 1996, Alexander Goltsov wrote:

Pleae try to wrap your lines at about column 70.  They're runnong off the
edge of the screen.

> I have got small question about using CDROM drives with the FreeBSD.
> I have got PC Compaq Presario 520 with IDE controller and I have got CDROM drive Matsushita/Panasonic CR571 which is installed
> as a slave.
>
> But FreeBSD cannot recognise it. In the release notes I found in the list of the supported
> CDROMs that:

>   (wcd) ATAPI IDE inteface (experemental and should be considered ALPHA
>  quality). What does that mean?

It means that the driver is not perfect.  There are some drive
configurations that it cannot deal with.  You appear to have one of them.

Or you aren't using the ATAPI.FLP boot floppy image.  The BOOT.FLP image
doesn't handle ATAPI currently.

> And could you please give me advise which CDROM should I buy if it is
> not possible for this CD-ROM.

SCSI is the best supported, but it is spendy especially if you have to
buy the controller.

> My FreeBSD version is  FreeBSD 2.2 SNAPSHOT March 23, 1996.

You should grab a newer SNAP.  I believe there is a 0608 SNAP out.