Date:      Sun, 9 Dec 2001 09:20:27 -0500
From:      Randall Hopper <aa8vb@nc.rr.com>
To:        "Paul '" <smak_420@hotmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: scanner detection difficulties

Paul ':
 |i have x-sane installed but whenever i attempt to start the program it
 |cannot detect my scanner.
 |
 |its a plustek parallel desktop scanner and is supposed to be supported by
 |xsane (according to their documentation)..
 |
 |unfortunatly i dont see any means to specify the scanner or modigy config
 |files of any sorts..
 |
 |anyone have an idea?

I don't know how much of this translates for your situation (Parallel
vs. SCSI, and a diff scanner), but here's what I do when installing SANE
for my SCSI Microtek E6 scanner:

   > /usr/local/etc/sane.d
   > mkdir ORIG
   > cp -p microtek.conf ORIG
   > <edit microtek.conf>

and what results:

   > cat ORIG/microtek.conf
   # Uncomment following line to disable "real calibration" routines...
   #norealcal
   # Uncomment following line to disable "clever precalibration" routines...
   #noprecal
   #   Using "norealcal" will revert backend to pre-0.11.0 calibration code.
   scsi * * Scanner
   /dev/scanner

   > cat microtek.conf
   #Uncomment following line to disable "clever precalibration" routines...
   noprecal
   scsi * * Scanner
   /dev/pass1

This is also relevent:

> ls -l /dev/pass1
crw-rw----  1 root  operator   31,   1 Feb 25  2001 /dev/pass1

and I am in group "operator" (i.e. sane has write permission to the scanner
when running as me).

Randall

--
Randall Hopper