Date:      Thu, 6 Jul 2000 17:34:14 +0100
From:      Steve Roome <steve@sse0691.bri.hp.com>
To:        David Scheidt <dscheidt@enteract.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: HEADS UP: /etc/rc.shutdown calls local scripts now

On Thu, Jul 06, 2000 at 11:16:05AM -0500, David Scheidt wrote:
> On Thu, 6 Jul 2000, Linh Pham wrote:
>
> :>
> :> Can we have little green "[ OK ]"s as well? :)
> :>
> :> j/k
> :
> :I hope you are joking... LOL... We don't want Linux emulation to go in
> :that direction.
>

> HP/UX does something like this.  I find it rather useful, but that may be
> because I have boxes that take almost an hour to boot....

It's a general SYSVism I think, but on the whole I find it to be a
pain, most of the things that happen at startup (on my HP-UX boxes)
could happen in the background, but because someone has made them all
sequential, so that they can all put ok's or not ok's on the screen it
means that after the 15 odd minutes of hardware testing that these
machines do on bootup I then have to wait another 10 minutes until
it's really started, and the same again when I want to shutdown.

The problem with that of course, is that I end up just calling reboot,
rather than bothering to wait for the shutdown - which is probably not
what should be encouraged.

I'd hate to see FreeBSD go the same way, it's nice to have the
information available, but having a lot of sequential startup/shutdown
scripts is a pain - and when say SNMP (early starter/stopper) hangs,
the box won't boot or shutdown until someone kills off that process,
which might involve a walk to the machine room.

It's a pain, and seems to be just there to look nice. (IMHO)

Unless someone wants to do the same sort of system, but one that runs
in parallel - that I'd like.

	Steve