Date:      Thu, 31 Oct 1996 18:40:15 -0500 (EST)
From:      Kurt Schafer <kurt@cyberbeach.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   NIS slave servers

I'm having a little bit of trouble bringing in another server to act as an NIS slave server. We're
running OK now with one NIS master and a couple of clients. Machine A is the server, and B and C are
the clients.

What would I need to do to convert B into a secondary slave server ? I'm not quite sure as to the
format of the ypservers file on the master machine, and the flags necessary to bring up the
slave in slave mode.

I tried creating a ypservers file with A and B on seperate lines, redid the NIS maps. (took a quick
look at ypservers with  'yp_mkdb -u ypservers' to see that information had changed, rebooted the
machines and discovered that the client could not NIS from the master. I think maybe machine B jumped in
and grabbed machine C's ypbind request but didn't have the maps from which to serve.

I could use a little nudge in the right direction, I think I'm on the right track.

-Kurt