Date:      Tue, 02 Jan 2001 10:23:23 -0700
From:      Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
To:        "C. Stephen Gunn" <csg@waterspout.com>
Cc:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Problems with VLAN and natd.

"C. Stephen Gunn" wrote:

> On Mon, Jan 01, 2001 at 11:24:41PM -0700, Wes Peters wrote:
>
> > > I'm afraid to even contemplate the POLA and backward compatability
> > > issues involved.
> >
> > Why would we need to violate POLA?  The obvious default would be to
> > extend ifconfig to configure the new protocol types, and to assume
> > EthII framing unless explicitly specified.
>
> Well.. It's a change to ifconfig for normal interface configuraton.

No, what I'm saying is that ifconfig would look exactly like it does now
for standard IP-over-EthII and for vlan id, and would be extended to handle
other configurations not currently supported like SNAP, or SNAP + VLAN.

> I also wasn't aware that ifconfig handles netgraph node creation,
> I thought you (currently) used ngctl or libnetgraph for that.

It doesn't now, but it's only software.

> > Perhaps so.  If someone does the work to move EthII into netgraph, I can
> > certainly contribute a SNAP/LLC module, and maybe even extensions to
> > ifconfig so you can use it.  ;^)
>
> If we continue to dicuss this, and this is the correct direction to
> head, I'd volunteer to take a first-pass at the code.

That would be great, but this we should certainly move to -arch.  Personally
I don't have any problems with gutting the network interfaces and moving
all MAC-layer protocols into netgraph nodes, but others might react violently.
With this group, you can never tell.  ;^)