Date:      Sat, 14 Feb 1998 08:58:31 -0500
From:      "Gary Palmer" <gpalmer@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
Cc:        Michael Hancock <michaelh@cet.co.jp>, freebsd-fs@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ccd and ftd

Greg Lehey wrote in message ID
<19980214120247.43100@freebie.lemis.com>:
> On Sat, 14 February 1998 at 10:19:49 +0900, Michael Hancock wrote:
> > What happens when a disk goes bad?

> The worst possible scenario.  Your whole disk set goes down, and to
> get it up again, you have to reconfigure the set without the defective
> drive.  That's one of the problems that my driver addresses.

And to make it worse, filesystem operations may fail if one half of
the mirror is bad, leading to a really badly trashed filesystem
once you reboot and have removed the bad mirror. This, IMHO, is
bad, and why CCD mirroring should not be used without some advanced
monitoring system that can break the mirror at the first sign of
disk errors (possibly after trying to re-sync the mirrors to see if
it was a transient error).

Gary