Date:      Tue, 29 Feb 2000 18:02:48 +0100
From:      Harald Kretzschmar <hk@thuer.slf.uunet.de>
To:        freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: multi cd installation

Quoting Alexander Barkey <A.P.Barkey@gmx.de>:
> Hi,
>
> today i got my freebsd cd's and thought its kinda easy to install it,
> cause i have a lotta expirience with debian linux.
> when i select ALL for installing packages.
> it tells me after about 20min installing cd1 that the selected packages
> (which maybe should on cd #2,3 or 4) cannot be found on this media. and
> aborts.

Have a look at:
http://www.FreeBSD.org/releases/3.4R/errata.html

As shipped, the "Custom" installation option in 3.4 is broken
and menu items like Configure don't work

Fix: Both the "Novice" and "Express" install paths still work and
     can be used just as effectively (if not succinctly).  Alternately,
     you can invoke the custom installation from the "Index" menu
     (Installation, Custom) along with the Configuration option.  You
     can also just download a fixed mfsroot.flp floppy image (or boot.flp
     if you need 2.88MB boot media) from the following URL:

  ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/releases/i386/3.4-RELEASE/floppies/updates/

     The 3.4 ISO installation image is also updated to contain fixes
     for all these errata items.

> and the other problem i have. i've got a avm fritz! pci ISDN card for pc.
> whats the program where i can load modules into the kernel?
> and where on these cd's are the isdn utils?

ISDN is integrated in the kernel and your card is supported. You'll find
the latest version at ftp://i4b.consol.de/pub (i4b-00.90.00-beta-111299.tar.gz).
This file contains also a good installation guide.

bye Harald
--
E-Mail: hk@thuer.slf.uunet.de
[BSD-UNIX UserID FBSD040654 (i686)]