Date:      Wed, 25 Sep 2002 08:34:05 -0500
From:      Bob Willcox <bob@immure.com>
To:        Garrett Wollman <wollman@lcs.mit.edu>
Cc:        Peter Wemm <peter@wemm.org>, current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Who broke sort(1) ?

Funny, this argument suddenly reminds me of the "Hitch Hikers Guide to
the Galexy" :-)

Bob

On Tue, Sep 24, 2002 at 05:01:29PM -0400, Garrett Wollman wrote:
> <<On Tue, 24 Sep 2002 13:30:11 -0700, Peter Wemm <peter@wemm.org> said:
>
> > Oh man, this is going to suck.  There are thousands and thousands of third
> > party scripts that use +n syntax.
>
> > I am most unhappy with this change. :-(
>
> The time to complain about it was back in 1992when the old syntax was
> labeled ``deprecated'' by P1003.2, or in 1999 when the revision cycle
> was just heating up.  Old deprecated features were automatically
> dropped leading up to the 2001 revision, unless someone could make a
> case for their retention.  That case wasn't made in the case of
> `sort', and as a result the Standard no longer permits the old syntax.
> It's not like people didn't have nine years' advance warning to fix
> their scripts.
>
> FreeBSD supported `-k' in 1.0; see
> <http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/src/gnu/usr.bin/sort/Attic/sort.c?rev=1.1&content-type=text/x-cvsweb-markup>.
>
> -GAWollman

Bob Willcox            We seem to have forgotten the simple truth that
bob@vieo.com           reason is never perfect. Only non-sense attains
Austin, TX             perfection.      -- Poul Henningsen [1894-1967]