Date:      Sat, 22 Jun 2002 15:51:33 -0700
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        Patrick Thomas <root@utility.clubscholarship.com>
Cc:        Nielsen <nielsen@memberwebs.com>, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: (jail) problem and a (possible) solution ?

Patrick Thomas wrote:
> How do you increase KVA space these days ?  I see that in earlier releases
> you had to edit /sys/conf/ldscript.i386 and /sys/i386/include/pmap.h and
> do all sorts of crazy stuff.
>
> What is the procedure in 4.5-RELEASE (please say "just change
> KVA_PAGES=260 to KVA_PAGES=512)
>
> That's what you want me to do, right ?  Is that all - can it be done just
> by changing that one value in my kernel config ?

It's what I want you to do.

For 4.5, you have to hack ldscript.i386 and pmap.h.  I've posted
on how to do this before (should be in the archives).

The pages are all going to be off-by-one from your calculations,
for the recursive page mapping, or off-by-two if your kernel is an
SMP kernel, for the per CPU page, so remember that, or you will
end up with a kernel that simply doesn't boot.

The easiest way is to look at the numbers in pmap.h, and figure
out how they relate to 0xc0000000 (remember to OR in 0x00100000
after your math, to count the kernel loading at 1M).

-- Terry