Date:      Thu, 13 Nov 1997 17:11:19 -0800
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG

> I have been trying to get this working in FreeBSD since last night; right
> now, I'm not sure why what is happening is happening.  But I'm giving up --
> I've had it "explained" to me by Jordan that even if I got it working, it
> would not be considered, because this is simply not anything that anyone
> needs to worry about.  (Even though I do know someone whose machine has been

Sean appears top have radically misunderstood my position on this, so
let me just state it for the group here:

1. There is a Linux fix which David has seen and considers highly hacky.
   There was also the BSDI fix which would appear to have mysteriously
   disappeared about 24 hours after their announcement, something
   I found to only further support the "let's wait and see just a little
   longer" attitude which I'm really expounding here.

2. Intel has not yet announced the full details of their own fix but
   promises to do so in the next couple of days.

3. I stated facts #1 and #2 in a newsgroup posting and Sean appears to
   have somehow this equated with saying "FreeBSD doesn't care" or
   "FreeBSD will not fix this."   For the record, I said no such thing
   and simply asked that people stop raising such an unholy ruckus about
   this problem until we've both heard from Intel and have had the
   chance to come up with a more well considered fix which is both applicable
   to FreeBSD and does not impose undue penalties of its own.  I believe
   my exact phrasing was "let's make sure that the cure is not worse than
   the disease" and I stand by that statement, Sean's misunderstanding
   notwithstanding.

That is all.

					Jordan