Date:      Tue, 28 Aug 2007 23:00:22 -0700
From:      Predrag Punosevac <punosevac@math.arizona.edu>
To:        "Scott I. Remick" <scott@sremick.net>,  questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: "READ_BIG timed out" errors on acd0

How about if you read  first page from Chapter 18 from the Handbook

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/creating-cds.html

There are several rock solid command line programs for burning  CDs  and
DVDs.  Burn cd is  the simplest one.  cdrecord  is the second one.

Forgive me for saying this but before we declare something is wrong with
hardware lets check if the thing can record from the command line when
you are supper user. This way we will check if something is wrong with
hardware or with configuration files i.e. permissions , links  etc.
If you can rip CD from the command line hardware is OK.