Date:      Sat, 24 Aug 1996 19:17:56 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        Ryan Matteson <rmatt@sunny.ncmc.cc.mi.us>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: your mail

On Sat, 24 Aug 1996, Ryan Matteson wrote:

> Anyone know where the lib libgcc.so.261.0 is? I still cannot find it
> at cdrom.com or mit. I used find,whereis and they both turned up NULL.
> This one last lib is all I need to use emacs. Thanks very much for any info

Should have been installed with the system.  I've got it here and didn't
do anything special.

> BTW: Anyone know how to get locate to work???

Allow weekly maintenance to run, it'll rebuild the locate database for
you.  This is the fragment from /etc/weekly that does it:

echo "Rebuilding locate database:"
locdb=/var/db/locate.database
touch ${locdb}; chown nobody ${locdb}; chmod 644 ${locdb}
echo /usr/libexec/locate.updatedb | nice -5 su -m nobody 2>&1 |\
        fgrep -v 'Permission denied'
chmod 444 ${locdb}

I suppose you could run this yourself if you needed to.