Date:      Wed, 3 Feb 1999 10:49:29 +1100
From:      Peter Jeremy <peter.jeremy@auss2.alcatel.com.au>
To:        jwyatt@RWSystems.net
Cc:        security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: tcpdump

James Wyatt <jwyatt@RWSystems.net> wrote:
>Don't make more BPFs than you need (usually 1)
If you use multiple network interfaces (including ppp/lpip), having a
second BPF can be useful when you're trying to resolve routing problems.
If you're using DHCP, you'll need a spare BPF for dhcpd.

> and leave tcpdump running
>to lock it. If someone gets in and gets rootly, they can use it to sniff

This doesn't buy you anything:
1) Anyone with root access can kill your tcpdump to grab the BPF
   (or just run ktrace on it to grab the output without alerting you).
2) Anyone with physical access to your network can achieve the same
   thing with sniffer software on a laptop.

Running tcpdump (especially in promiscuous mode) can substantially
increase the load on your system.  You _don't_ want to do this if
your machine is on a heavily loaded network.

I've seen suggestions (I can't recall where) that you might as well
"chmod 666 /dev/bpf*" to more accurately reflect the difficulty of
network snooping (although I think this is going too far).

Peter