Date:      Mon, 19 Jan 2015 07:15:17 +0000
From:      Matthew Seaman <matthew@FreeBSD.org>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Poudriere Timeout

On 2015/01/19 01:45, Cy Schubert wrote:
> Hi,
>

> Has anyone seen this before?
>
> print/texlive-texmf texlive-texmf-20140525_4 package/timeout runaway_process
>

> /usr/bin/touch /wrkdirs/usr/ports/print/texlive-texmf/work/stage/usr/local/s
> hare
> /texmf-dist/doc/.keep_me
> /bin/mkdir -p /wrkdirs/usr/ports/print/texlive-texmf/work/stage/usr/local/sh
> are/
> texmf-dist/source
> /usr/bin/touch /wrkdirs/usr/ports/print/texlive-texmf/work/stage/usr/local/s
> hare
> /texmf-dist/source/.keep_me
> ====> Compressing man pages (compress-man)
> =======================<phase: package        >============================
> ===>  Building package for texlive-texmf-20140525_4
> ====>> Killing timed out build after 3600 seconds
> ====>> Cleaning up wrkdir
> ===>  Cleaning for texlive-texmf-20140525_4
> build of print/texlive-texmf ended at Fri Jan 16 23:49:09 PST 2015
> build time: 02:41:43
> !!! build failure encountered !!!
>
> Building the port by hand, make package, took just over 19 minutes (1150
> seconds). Would increasing the timeout from 3600 to something larger (like
> 7200 -- I know this will require hacking the code) address the issue?

Yeah.  I've been seeing that exact problem.  Seems that 'pkg create' is
taking an inordinately long time.  truss shows that it is still
processing files, but very slowly.  Not sure why it hits this port
specifically -- possibly just the number of files included in the
package.  Printing something occasionally while processing the files in
the package would probably allow the process to complete instead of
poudriere killing it because it had apparently hung up, but doesn't
address the underlying reason for why it is so slow in the first place.

	Cheers,

	Matthew