Date:      Thu, 10 Apr 2003 15:21:51 +0107 (CEST)
From:      "Frans-Jan v. Steenbeek" <FST777@phreaker.net>
To:        chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: .NET on FreeBSD

I was kinda kidding, but serious:
with the upcoming Palladium-technology (one of the reasons why I decided to
look for a replacement for Window$ before get into the new stream of
control comming up) I don't think it is a good idea to add .NET to, and
develope .NET for FreeBSD, especially when it is only usefull for
Open-Source applications. .NET is the first (or twenthieth or whatever) of
series of Micro$ofts efforts to get control over the world market and to
get a view of the way users use their PC. Palladium will be the next step
and I think Micro$oft will make .NET fully Paladium-depended. I fear that
when a .NET-implementation is added to the ports-collection of FreeBSD (and
as a package for Linux or other Open-Source efforts) it will be used too
much to develope cros-platform software. This will lead to the fact that
even Open-Source users will then on the long term have to use this
NET-implementation and become (again) under the control of Micro$ofts
bugs.
In other words, it may only tighten our freedom.

On Wed, 09 Apr 2003, Chip Morton wrote:
> Date: Wed, 09 Apr 2003 23:35:09 -0500
> To: FreeBSD Chat <chat@freebsd.org>
> From: Chip Morton <tech_info@threespace.com>
> Subject: Re: .NET on FreeBSD
>
> In addition to the execution engine itself, the Shared Source CLI
> include source code to practically every .NET tool that comes with the
CLR (and